Mexico Vera Cruz Mission

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

June 30, 2014



SO this week we have had some good experiences haha. Starting with the first one! Here it pretty much always rains at night and sometime it rains rather hard at night and sometimes there is also lots of wind so it blows it in the window. Which is right where I sleep and we ALWAYS leave the window open:) so ya, I got a little wet and I woke up and had to shut the window so I don't get wet. SO that was one thing that happened. 

Also we have seen 2 people this week that have the chicken pox so I was concerned cause I don't remember ever having them?  But who knows? I haven't gotten sick yet so all is well! 

Also if you've been reading my last couple weeks of letters you will remember me talking about a weird tradition here where they go around dressed up (looking like death eaters) and whipping people, throwing powder etc. Well yesterday was the big day of that where pretty much everyone does it.  So there were lots of them and me and my companion got whipped:D haha.
It was fun! They didn't do it hard or anything, but it was just kinda funny, I still don't really understand the point but it was funny!

Also we made cookies with the relief society this week and they loved them. Thank you Mama Hakes. They don't have homemade chocolate chip cookies here so it was something new and they all liked them a lot.

Then, on Friday, we did a family night with the branch. It was super good! It was one I had already done before. We taught the restoration of the church and we divided into groups and made our own churches.
Then someone acted the part of Joseph Smith and had to choose a church to join. But he didn't really know and then from there we explain the First Vision. Its a super good and its fun for everyone. Also our branch president made some killer tacos that were super good! So overall it was a really good day.

Lately I've been thinking a lot about what I need to do better as a missionary.....the list never ends!
haha. But I'm working on putting goals and plans on what I'm gonna do make it to my goal. So basically what I have thought about is what every missionary needs. Every missionary needs to understand what love is. Love for God, for Christ and his atonement, for their companion, for the members, and for the investigators. There's a lot to love and a lot to learn to love. I would say that is the most important thing a missionary needs to learn. And going back on a quote from one of the prophets back in the day "Every member a missionary". SO.....this applies to everyone of us. I believe if we all understood the Atonement and the sacrifice God and Jesus Christ made for us, the world would be sooooo much different. I invite all of you to do this, to try the Lord.  Because if you do it, he will teach you to love. And in doing so he will bless you more than you can imagine. I love my Heavenly Father and all he does for me. And hope that we can all understand this concept a little bit more.

Love,
Elder Hakes

No comments:

Post a Comment