Mexico Vera Cruz Mission

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

September 1, 2014



This week was a roller coaster!!! We had some ups and some downs. But Tuesday we had an amazing experience my companion and I! We both felt kinda crappy haha and honestly I didn't feel like doing anything. My companion and I were both just walking around zombies. And so right before we left I went to the bedroom while my companion was in the bathroom. I knelt down and began to say a prayer. I told the Lord I was sorry for my attitude, and that I wanted to change it but I didn't know how. SO I asked him to put someone or do something before 6:30 PM so that I could feel better. So we left and started the day. It didn't look like the Lord was gonna answer me at all! We went to appointments and nobody was home we contacted people that didn't want anything, etc. It was just a horrible day honestly. We went and we said alright lets go with a Less active here. And as we walked in the street feeling horrible I saw a little girl in the street that was about 6 years old. I don't know why, but when I saw her I immediately went to her and said can your bring your mom to the door. I don't know why I did it, but I did. So the mom came out and we contacted her. We told her that we were missionaries, that we were happy because of the gospel, and our families were also happy. And asked if we could come into her home and teach her. She said yes! We walked in and sat down and we began to talk with her and her 2 daughters. She told us that she wanted to listen because she wanted her family to be happier and that she had had some problems. She had been married and her husband died, then she got married again and was divorced and that she now had a boyfriend that she was living with. We began to talk a little bit more about the family. And we started to talk about the Restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. We explained Joseph Smith and the happiness we have in knowing that this is the church of Jesus Christ restored on the earth. She began to cry. We asked her how she felt listening to us, and she said she felt peace and happiness. And so then we asked do you believe that what we have taught you is true? She responded with a simple yes. It was one of the most powerful lessons I have ever been a part of. We left my companion and I with tears in our eyes. Then we got to the corner and sat down for a second. I then pulled out the cell phone to see what time it was and sure enough it was 6:30 PM. I then told my companion about the prayer I had offered. And he began to tell me that when he went to the bathroom he also offered a prayer, and he asked that we could find a family of 3 that truly needed the gospel in their lives. 

God loves you. I know that without a doubt. He knows why we suffer and why we thrive, even though we are clueless sometimes. But I know that he knows what you need and when you need it. He answered me in the exact moment that I asked because that is when I needed it. Life is tough and so is a mission but if the Lord is on your side and you trust in him you will be lifted through your afflictions, doubts, struggles, and whatever problems you will have in your life. 

That was one of the really cool experiences I had this week. The other was seeing the faith of one of the people that I baptized. Her name is Teresa, if you don't remember, She is an older woman. She is 78 years old. She bore her testimony to me and my companion so powerfully the other day. It honestly brought tears to my eyes. I knew in that moment that the Lord had sent me here in Orizaba to find her and help her come unto the Lord and find the truth. It was awesome for those 2 reasons! 

Also, we had 4 people in church this week! It's a family  and one of the sons is getting ready for baptism on the 14th of September. We are going to work with the rest of his family so they can have a baptismal date also. 

All is well in Mexico!!!! Loving my habanero, jalapeƱo, and whatever other kind of peppers I'm eating here!

Love,
Elder Hakes 

No comments:

Post a Comment