Mexico Vera Cruz Mission

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

January 13, 2014

Dear Family,

This week went rather swell! haha. We got to baptize this week. It was a guy named Luis. He had listened to missionaries a bunch and knew everything was true but I don't think he wanted to leave the life he had behind. He then got his wife pregnant and had a baby like 3 months ago. And that's what opened the way for him. He realized what he wanted for his son and that he needed to change a little bit. Along with his wife who was a less active member. He is a very good guy. He's like 23 but he's a good man and will have a good future within the church. I had the privilege of confirming him a member. That was a first! It went alright I think haha.

But this week we will baptize 3 more. One is a grandma that loves us haha. She gives us food all the time! We show up to give a lesson and she has food waiting for us. Its pretty funny! Then there is one young man and young woman. The girl is 15 years old and her brother is 13. They are both pretty good kids but they still have some problems. We working hard to help the sister change mostly. She hangs out with some pretty sketchy people that don't like the word of wisdom. So that concerns me a little bit but I believe that all will be good for this Saturday. We also had an experience this week that was pretty cool. I actually didn't get to participate in it but my companion told me. I went with a different elder to give a blessing. They went to give one with one of our investigators in the church. She was having problems with her back. SO she asked for a blessing. My companions gave her a blessing and they just kinda sat there for a second. The investigator right after said she felt something hot come over her and she started to feel a little bit better. She then began to tell my companions that the church is true and that she knows it. I wish I could've been there but regardless it was awesome to hear.

We are working hard and its going alright right now. We lack a little bit of people to teach but with the people we are teaching they are progressing very well. My mission is an area that is well prepared for the work. "The field is white and already to harvest" Now's the time to thrust in my sickle. Just a little bit more each day. The Lord prepares people in every city of the world to receive the gospel. We just have to search and find the courage to speak up. I've been privileged to see many blessing in my short 6 months of my mission, and I'd like to remind you all of what it means to be a member of this church. It means we have to be the "candles that can't be hidden" or "the light of the world". We have a "light" that no one else in this world has. It's the Fully restored gospel of Jesus Christ. That brings us joy in our lives and helps us overcome the things of the world. We have a solemn duty, DUTY, to share this gospel. When we were baptized we made this covenant to share it with all others. Remember what it means to be a member of this church! We have a great responsibility to help all others come unto Christ in the waters of baptism.

I love you guys. Look for the way to serve others and help them find the gospel. When you do it I promise you that you will have more joy in your life, more importantly you will help someone else find that comfort, joy, love, etc.And you will be happy. Serve the Lord and He will bless you physically and spiritually.

Love,
Elder Hakes

No comments:

Post a Comment